Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's going to be a great year

Things are going well for all of us. It still feels surreal to have him at home. We love him being here with us. I think having Josh in the NICU for so long has caused Matt and me to be a little more protective than we would have been. Now don't get me wrong, he is our first child so we would have been protective regardless. But him spending so long in the NICU has caused us to realize how fragile he is. If Matt could put Josh in a bubble I think he would.

Josh had a doctors appointment today for his two month shots (just a couple weeks late). He did so well with his shots. He cried for a few seconds and then stopped. We got a great report at the doc's today. Josh is now 9 pounds and 20 1/2 inches long! We are so pleased that he is growing so well. He will be ten pounds before we know it! If Josh does not get sick, we do not have to go back to the doctor until he gets his four month shots in the middle of March.

The beginning of this week has been a cause for celebration for Matt, Josh, and me. Yesterday marks the day that Josh was at home for more than he was in the hospital. He was in the NICU for 38 days, and yesterday marked day 39 that he was home with us! I was so excited. It's amazing what kind of things you mark after your child has been in the hospital for so long.

Having Josh in the hospital for so long has caused us to appreciate the little things even more. Not that a first time parent does not enjoy all the firsts; I think Matt and I just appreciate them a little more. We take notice of everything. Our little booger has such a personality. He loves to swing and spend time in his bouncy seat. Joshua also loves to watch TV and listen to music. Josh will move his head and body to the beat of the music. And if you sit Josh on your lap he can bounce himself. He is so precious when he does that! Josh is sleeping well, almost through the night now. I love the looks he gives us. He smiles a whole lot at his mommy and daddy. Josh has gotten better when we change his diaper. Now if he could just learn to enjoy his bath. Josh is also out of his preemie outfits, and almost out of his newborn outfits. He is heading into 0-3 months which makes Mommy so proud!

This past Saturday, Matt's family threw Josh his shower. It was late, but better late than never. And it worked out perfect to do it this way. How many babies can say that they attended one of their own showers. I am glad some more of Matt's family members were finally able to meet Josh. We all had a great time. Josh got a lot of neat gifts. I was so excited that they wanted to do that for us. The shower was especially good for me. I missed my showers. The first one was scheduled for the day Josh was born. This was a chance for me to heal. This really was the strong beginning of my healing process. I had felt bitter and cheated for so long about the circumstances around Josh's birth. And now, I got to experience something every other pregnant woman has. I really needed that.

This year, so far, has been a turning point for Matt and me. Last year was so rough for us in many ways. But this year is going to be different. I keep reminding myself that attitude is everything. But even if we hit as many rough spots as we did last year, we still have each other. We also have Josh. And all that matters is that he is happy and healthy. And he brings so much joy to our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I understand exactly what you mean about feeling cheated sometimes. I feel that way too. I feel like I've missed so much and I didn't get to do the things most people get to do. It's heartbreaking really, and I'm still angry sometimes but it does get better with time and I'm just happy to have Jackson as you are with Josh.

    ReplyDelete