Monday, November 16, 2009

Life with Josh

Things have been hectic since Josh has arrived! We were not totally ready for Josh at home so we have been rushing to get ready for him at home. Once we get a diaper genie we will be finished! I can't wait to get him home and in his room where he belongs.

Josh is doing so well now. We are so proud of him. After his birth he went on the ventilator. He came off less than 12 hours later. The Monday after his birth they did a chest x-ray and found out he had pneumonia. He went back on the ventilator for a few days. He is now off and has been for more than a week and a half. After the ventilator he was on nasal oxygen for awhile. He has been off oxygen for three days and is doing wonderfully. He is gaining weight and now he is eating from a bottle. His feeding tube is out and everything is looking good. Our little boy just needs to gain weight so he can come home.

Matt and I got to hold him for the first time a week ago Sunday. That was one of the best moments of my life. He feels bigger than you think he would be. And he is so alert now. I am just amazed at how well he is doing. And I am so thankful that he is okay. I feel really blessed because this could have turned out badly. Today we get to feed him a bottle for the first time. The nurses are helping us get ready for him coming home. Joshua could be home for Thanksgiving. That would be the best thing in the world.

I am doing well. I have appreciated this chance to get to rest. I have healed up nicely from my c-section. Matt has been a wonderful help. I just wish I could have brought my little boy home with me. This has been really rough on me. The whole thing has been very hard. We went to the hospital that Saturday night not planning on staying. We weren't ready for Josh to come. And I feel a little cheated. I didn't get to experience real labor and I had to have a c-section. And now my child has spent two weeks and one day in the NICU and I imagine he will be there for at least another week. I felt so bad that he was so tiny. I have felt like all of this is my fault and that I could have done something more. No mother imagines the birth of their child, especially their first, happening like this. And everyone says I should be happy to have this time to rest, and I am thankful for it, but I would give anything to have Josh at home with us.

I am not going to dwell on what has happened. I am just thankful that he has come so far and is doing so well. And I have a lot to be thankful for. I can't wait for the day when he can come home. I know that day is coming soon. Please keep us in your prayers. Pray for Josh to get stronger and bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment