Monday, November 30, 2009

Update on Everything

We are so excited. Josh will be coming home this week! If not tomorrow then probably Wednesday. I cannot tell you how good this feels. It is such a horrible feeling to be away from your baby, especially your new baby. It's even worse being away from him under these conditions and when he is first born. We should have had our baby at home with us, spending this last month bonding.

But our wait is almost over! Josh will be here soon. This past month has been busy and difficult. I can't believe it has been one month already. Tomorrow our little boy will be one month old! It would be even better if he was home to celebrate that with us! I am thankful that the doctors and nurses at the hospital have taken such good care of him. I have had the past month to rest and to get Josh's room ready.

I can't believe how much we had left to do when I went into labor! There were six weeks left and I thought I would get to take advantage of those six weeks. Everything is ready now though. Matt and I have been putting things together. This house looks so funny with the crib ready, the bouncy seat, the swing, and the play pen all put together and ready to go with no baby. We even tested out his baby monitor the other night. He absolutely has everything here he needs. We are so blessed! And even more blessed that our baby is okay.

Josh is doing so well. We are so proud of our little monkey. There have been good days and bad days. One of the NICU nurses warned us when Josh was less than a week old that there would be a few steps forward and then one or two backward. It has definitely been that way. We have seen him improve so much and then watched something discouraging happen. But Josh has fought hard to get to where he is. He has gained his weight. He is doing so much better with his breathing. Josh is a good eater and sleeper. And he is hardly fussy. We have such a good baby. And Josh is absolutely beautiful, and we are not just biased. He really is a beautiful baby.

The hardest part for me has been the whole experience of going back and forth to the hospital. I hate hospitals anyway, but it is hard to go see your child there. And it really isn't fair that we have only been spending a couple hours a day with our baby. The worst part for me is going into the hospital and seeing a woman being wheeled out with her newborn baby. I knew we would run into that and I have seen it about 4 times. I feel robbed that I didn't get that experience. But tomorrow or Wednesday I should be walking out of the hospital with my own baby, and for that I am incredibly thankful. Thankful for the fact that my baby is alive and healthy. Thankful that he is doing so well. Thankful that he is coming home to be with us where he belongs. And most importantly, thankful that I will not have to go to the hospital to see my baby and scrub down for two minutes just so I can touch him. But Josh is coming home this week and that is all that matters to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment