Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Best Christmas Ever

Things are going well here. We love having Josh at home with us. It has been an adjustment for us to get used to Josh's schedule. Getting up at night can be tiring, but I don't think either of us would trade it for the world. Josh belongs at home and it feels right having him here with us. Our family is complete, well until our second child makes his or her entrance into the world in a couple of years.

I find it funny that I am mentioning having another child. It is not something I want to do within the next year and a half, but having another baby in two years would be fine with me. After we came home from the hospital I was adament that I did not want to even think about baby Baird number two. As far as I was concerned, baby Baird number two was not in the cards. I realize now that it was my emotions talking. I was in pain from the c-section. I also felt bitter that Josh's birth did not go as planned. I was mad I did not experience true labor and that I had to have a c-section. The biggest part was that I was broken hearted from having to leave my first child in the NICU for so long. I knew I would not be able to go through that again. Thank goodness that I asked my OB/GYN for some statistics on preeclampsia. There is only a 12-15% chance that it will happen a second time. The majority of preeclampsia cases show up in the first or last birth. So I think my odds are good.

Needless to say, Matt was surprised to hear me say two weeks after the birth of our son that I wanted to have another. I could deal with having another c-section. The pain was not that bad. And Josh will need a sibling. I do not want him to be an only child. He is already spoiled enough as it is. And Matt really wants a girl. I would be fine having another boy. And depend upon how the second one goes will determine if we have a third. I always said I wanted three children: 2 boys and 1 girl. I know that God will provide when and how He sees fit. I imagine, though, that our life will contain at least one more child. But that is another story for another day way in the future.

Now, back to Josh. He is so wonderful. Josh really is a good baby. He has quite the personality. He also has a temper. He gets easily frustrated. It appears that he is stubborn and pretty independent. I am afraid he gets a lot of these traits from his mother; he comes by it honestly. But Matt exhibits some of these traits as well, so Josh had no chance. We learned last night that Josh will pretend to cry after we have put him to bed at night and we have gone to our room. He hates to be alone, and so after he realizes he is alone he will cry just a little. Then he stops and waits. Then he cries again a little longer and louder. And then he stops to see if we are coming for him. We were listening to this on the monitor last night. It is absolutely hilarious.

I am excited, and ready, for Christmas. I was just telling Matt the other day that this Christmas hasn't been like other ones. I haven't had as much time to prepare and anticipate it. Christmas has been on the back burner. Josh was our priority while he was in the hospital. He did not come home until December 10. Once he got home, he was the priority here and we had to get adjusted to having him here. But on the plus side, I have not gone out in the crowds as much as I have in previous years! Even though I did not get as much time to enjoy our Christmas tree, Christmas music, and other Christmas traditions, I am the most excited I have ever been. This is my first Christmas married, and my first Christmas as a mother, and our first Christmas as a family, and my oldest child's first Christmas! This is wonderful! This really will be a great Christmas; maybe one of the best ever. And Josh coming home was the best Christmas present ever; it just came two weeks early, but that is fine with me. I feel so blessed and thankful to have him here with us. And I am excited to see what this Christmas holds for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment