Friday, December 18, 2009

Josh's first week at home

The fifth time was the charm! Josh came home with us last Thursday. It was a wonderful day for us. Last Wednesday night we had the opportunity to spend the night in the hospital and room in with Josh. Matt and I chose to do that so wwe could get comfortable with the monitor Josh has to wear for his apnea. In the hospital we had access to a nurse if we needed one. Matt and I made it through the night with no problems. It was wonderful to spend that first night with our son!

Things have been wonderful at home with our newest addition at home with us where he belongs! He has adjusted so well. Josh already had a schedule he followed from the NICU. He has changed his feeding habits a bit, but now that we have increased his feedings the schedule is practically back to normal. Josh sleeps and eats well.

Josh loves his room. He has gotten to be introduced to a lot of new things since being at home. Two days ago he got into his bouncy seat for the first time. He loves to bounce! The vibrator in the seat makes him cry though. He does love the music, but he looks at the toys on the toy bar like they are stupid. Hopefully when he gets bigger he will enjoy playing with them.

Josh also has spent time with his grandparents since he has been home. Matt's parents have come to see him twice. Josh loves having visitors. Josh also has gone to my parent's house since he has been home. He rides so well in the car. And going to my parent's house introduced Josh to the five greyhounds. The dogs seem to love Josh. Jake even gave Josh a kiss. And I love that Josh does not seem to mind the dogs at all.

We took Josh to his first doctor's appointment on Monday. Matt and I absolutely love Josh's doctor. Everything was good with Josh. On Monday he weighed close to 6 pounds. The doctor said we could increase Josh's feedings. Josh now eats 3 ounces about every 3 and a half hours. We go back to see Josh's doctor on January 7. Josh will be getting his two month shots then. I know it will break my heart to see him get those shots.

Things have been wonderful having Josh at home. It has taken some adjustments to learn what his cries mean. Thank goodness he doesn't cry much. Matt and I both have had a tough time adjusting on a little less sleep. We are learning how to sleep when Josh sleeps. We have a great time when we spend time with Josh. He brings us so much joy. I love watching his smiles, his facial expressions, and when his eyes light up. I am so protective of him. I always knew I would be a protective mother, but it is so much harder since Josh was premature and he spend so much time in the NICU. It is so much worse since we are in the middle of flu season. I don't want Josh to get sick. I am so thankful and feel so blessed to have him here with us. When we left the hospital with Josh last Thursday I cried. I was so happy to be coming home with our little boy. We waited so long for him to be coming home and it was finally happening. It was one of the best days of my life. I am looking forward to what this journey with Josh will bring to Matt and I. We plan to enjoy this Christmas with our special and precious little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment