Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Being Thankful

Being thankful is something that shouldn't end just because Thanksgiving is over. We should be thankful each and everyday for what we are given. I would have written this last week, but I was without a computer for a week because my laptop crashed. That leads to the first thing I am thankful for (these aren't in order)...

1. Technology - I love having a computer, internet, cell phone, an mp3, and so many other things. It is so easy nowadays to keep in contact with those we love and care about. Plus it is so easy to get news and information quickly.

2. God - Without God we wouldn't have all these wonderful things we are blessed with; countless things we don't deserve. I love my relationship with God. I appreciate so much that God allowed his Son to die on my behalf when I didn't deserve. It is wonderful that God treats us with mercy, grace, and that he chooses to forgive us. And I love that God hears our prayers. God is my Savior, and without Him, I wouldn't be who I am or where I am today.

3. Family - Who has seen you at your worst and still loves you? Who supports you in all your endeavors? Who is there to back you up and help out in any situation? Family, of course! All my family means so much to me. Without them I wouldn't be where I am today. I have a wonderful husband, supportive parents, and an amazing sister who is one of my best friends!

4. My son - I know he could be put in the category of family, but our relationship is special. A mother cannot love anyone the way she loves her children. We carry them and give birth to them. We have a bond with them and a love so deep and strong before they even get here. A mother nourishes and helps her baby grow for 9 months, and then after our child is here we continue to help them grow. But I am even more thankful for Josh after what we have been through. Josh could easily not be here right now, but God had bigger plans for Josh. Josh's premature birth taught Mommy and Daddy alot about God's sovereignty and his care for his children. Josh is my world. I have never loved anyone the way I love my son!

5. Other supportive people - Friends, extended family, co-workers, and church family are all wonderful people to have around. It is great to have people that love and care about you; people who are supportive and understanding, or people who can lend a helping hand, an ear, or a shoulder to cry on. Close friends are a blessing!

6. My job - It is an honor to be chosen to serve God in ministry. I still do not know why he chose me, but I am thankful. I plan to spend my next 40 years or so serving God to the best of my ability. It is great to be there for people, to listen, to be compassionate and generous, to point people to God, to pray for them, and to be their pastor. What better career could there be then serving God? It is a chore, stressful, frustrating, and difficult at times, but so fulfilling. I pray God will be with me and continue to help me get better at my vocation.

7. All the extras - Food, money, a home, and all the other things we need to get by. We are blessed to have what we need and some of what we want. Even in those times when things were rough (like when Josh was in the hospital) God provided what we needed. During the recession Matt never lost his job even though his company let people go. We are so blessed! I know God will provide for all our needs if we are just faithful. And even if we don't have all of what we want, we will still have what we need, and each other!

We all need to remember to count our blessings and be thankful each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment